You are probably hearing about cloud-based medical speech recognition software. This works very similarly to the speech recognition used for creating text messages and emails on your Android smartphone or iPhone.
There are a number of features that distinguish all cloud-based MSRT from computer-installed software (such as Dragon Medical Practice Edition-4).
Cloud-based medical speech recognition software:
- Requires little or no installation.
- Available on any computer that has an Internet connection.
- Paid by monthly subscription rather than a large up-front cost.
- Automatic, periodic, no-charge updates and improvements.
- Technical & user support is included in the monthly fee.
Dragon Medical Practice Edition-4 is the gold standard of MSRT, and it will serve us well for several years to come. However, Nuance (the manufacturer of DMPE-4) is pushing its cloud-based product (Dragon Medical One) very vigorously, and it is my opinion that there will not be a DMPE-5 developed. So, it is likely that all physicians using medical speech recognition software will need to migrate to a cloud version in the next few years.
Although the cloud-resident products from all manufacturers (Nuance, M*Modal, Dolby, and others) appear to be good, “SayIt” from nVoq is the product that we recommend above all others. The advantages of “SayIt” are:
- nVoq has offered cloud-resident MSRT since 2010. This is longer than any other company. This is their only product, so all development work is dedicated to this one product.
- The monthly subscription fee is about half that of its competitors.
- There is no contract requirement. You can subscribe on a month-to-month basis. You can also elect at any time to switch to an annual subscription with significant additional cost savings.
- It is the only product that works on both Windows and MacOS machines.
- NO installation is necessary. Competitors’ products generally require a small local app to be installed on each machine.
- With a subscription, a medical provider can use SayIt on any machine at any location. Thus, if you purchase a SayIt subscription for use in your office, you can also use it (and your ONE voice profile) at home, at the hospital, at nursing homes, on vacation, etc. Competitors’ products may require you to purchase additional subscriptions if you wish to use their product outside of the licensed location (e.g. clinic), utilizing multiple non-synchronized profiles.
- nVoq is completely dedicated to customer satisfaction, and is very responsive to customer feedback.
- Some EHR manufacturers are integrating cloud MSRT into their EHR applications. They may lead you to believe that you must purchase both from them, usually at high cost. This is not true. SayIt can be used in any EHR, in any text window that you would normally type into.
- Your Value-Added Reseller (i.e. Twin Cities EMR Consulting) can monitor your dictations in the background:
- We can make corrections for misinterpreted words, which improves future recognition.
- We can make suggestions for improved use of the product.
- Problems such as poor audio quality can be easily diagnosed.
If you currently have Dragon Medical Practice Edition-2, we highly recommend upgrading to either Dragon Medical Practice Edition-4 or SayIt. The increased speed and accuracy of both these products will amaze you.
If you have upgraded to Dragon Medical Practice Edition-4, there is no need to do anything now. It’s a great product! However, your future plans should likely include switching to a cloud-based medical speech recognition product. Of those available, our recommendation would be that you...
We would be delighted to chat with you regarding any questions that you may have.